Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Now with less nasty Taste!

On Monday, 17 August 2009, I went in for yet another PET scan.

Typically, the process involves:

1. getting injected with a radioactive sugar solution
2. drinking a cup of "contrast" solution
3. waiting 90 minutes for the sugar solution to circulate
4. drinking another cup of contrast solution
5. getting a 20 minute CT scan

Normally the contrast solution tastes like stale, moldy ass juice. However, my nurse had good news for me: the solution tasted better now. And he was right; it tasted like light sugar water with just a hint of ass juice.

Now this may not seem like such a big deal, but after spending the last year and a half being poked, prodded, sliced, diced, poisoned, and fed various noxious things, I'll take any improvement I can get.

1 comment:

John P. Kilgo said...

I'm glad they've made strides in how contrast tastes...I recall the PET scans and I was most amazed by the care with which the techs protected themselves from the radioactive sugar but then would tell you, "oh it's not that much, you'll be ok without a lead vest while we inject it..." funny how you get a lead vest at the dentist for a x-ray but for radioactive material coursing through your veins, you get nothing.