Monday, May 11, 2009

Time for a Change

Today, I went in for my third chemo treatment.

When I did my weigh-in, my weight was 141 pounds. I can't remember weighing so little at any time in my adult life. Marjorie and Dr. G, my oncologist, were both equally appalled that I look like Calista Flockhart.

So, we're going to change my chemo treatments from once every two weeks to every week starting tomorrow.

At first, this doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but the new regimen will involve lower doses of the various chemotherapy drugs and will completely cut out the 5FU (which I took via a pump for 46 hours after each chemo treatment). Both Dr. G and I are guessing the 5FU is what's cleaning my clock (i.e., nausea and lack of energy) and the theory is the by removing it, I might have a little more energy and feel like eating.

This means I might lose my supermodel status, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

4 comments:

LightyMart said...

Doug: Glad to see the updates and the ever-present sense of humor. 5FU sounds aptly named. Best of luck and hope round 3 is indeed a charmed one for you.

Michelle said...

Best of luck to you Doug. I'm amazed at your courage and sense of humor through all of this! We're sending good thoughts your way!
- Andrew and Michelle Lopresti

John P. Kilgo said...

Doug, I think between our cancer treatments, your weight has pretty much averaged out as I gained 40 pounds due to the steroids and you've lost a bunch, so if we average it out, you've not lost that much...Sorry for the sad attempt at humor. Keep plugging and this will be in the rear view one more time, hopefully, the last time.

Kilgo

Sarah E. said...

hey Doug! Cassandra sent me your pic, etc. It's good to see you again, Frank notwithstanding! It's been a while, but I do remember your zany sense of humor...some things never change! I have a grandson (*gasp* -- I'm too young!!). I'm on Facebook, or at http://everembellished.blogspot.com. See ya! Best from Sarah Jane